<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Sponsored Links
2005 Mariners Pitchers' ROER:
Contact Who Wants To Watch The World Series!!
Mariners News
Mariners Blogosphere
Cubs Blogs
Baseball Links
Partisan Blogs
General Sports
WWTWTWS Hall Of Fame
Time Wasters
Archives

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Freddy Garcia Trade: One Year Later 

One year ago today, The Mariners threw up the white flag on the 2004 season, trading Freddy Garcia to the Chicago White Sox for three youngsters: Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse. Therefore, it's a good time to look back on how that trade's worked out.

At the time of the trade, Garcia was having one of his best seasons, striking out 82 (with 32 walks) and having a 3.20 ERA in 107 innings. His record, however, was a mere 4-7, due to some horrible run support. Everyone stressed that fact, as well as his youth (27 at the time), and the Mariners were able to get top dollar in the trade.

Garcia didn't pitch particularly well after the trade, going 9-4 with a 4.46 ERA and 102 K's in 103 innings. This year, his line reads 7-3, 3.58 ERA, and 69 K's. He also signed a 3-year contract worth $25 million, which looks like a good deal for the Sox after last off-season's run on pitching salaries.

The Mariner's end of the trade is well-documented, so I won't bore you with the details. It's interesting to read that at the time, Olivo was considered the prime prospect in the deal, while Morse was a mere throw-in.

Both teams got what they wanted in this deal, and I'm guessing that both teams would make this deal again.

Comments:
I think I remember more folks being excited about Jemmy Wee than anyone else.
 
I was searching for chicago cubs web site and found your site.

I'm a huge Cub fan and I have been looking for other sites about chicago cubs web site

Dave
 
Hi, Nice blog you have here. Lots of great info on cleveland browns tailgating. I have a cleveland browns tailgating related site. It has lots of information, discussion, stats etc. on cleveland browns tailgating. Please check it out if you get a chance.
 
So I've been searching around looking at blogs because I want to start one at my site ( golf schools ). But I'm not sure how I want to go.... blogger, wordpress, drupal... not sure, and I don't know that much about them. I like the look of this site. If you have time could you email me what you like/dislike about your blog? Thank you if you decide to take the time to help me out, and I understand if you don't. Ultimately I want it to look good with being "hands off" as much as possible. Anyway, keep up the good work.
 
Post a Comment